Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Not out of the woods just yet

Tuesday 10 August 2021

Meeting with the consultant on Tuesday we made a plan. It was agreed that Gemcitabine was not working and demolished my platelets to much to be able to give me the correct dosage. We talked about Carboplatin and how it had really worked quite quickly on its own the first time I ever had chemo a year ago. I had mentioned this before but at the time they were thinking about a pill form of chemo. So because my platelets are struggling she suggested that she give me a Carboplatin dose 30% once a week for three weeks to enable my bloods to recover in between times and maybe we could get back to the place where the cancer is contained. I like a plan it, seems like a good one. 

I had another CT scan, the results of which I'm not really looking forward to hearing about but I understand that they need a marked at the start of a new treatment to compare previous scans. I also had another ultrasound scan to see if there was any fluid to drain but once again there wasn't enough to warrant the procedure.

The chemo on Friday went off without a hitch. They gave me a blast of antihistamine to stop my body rejecting the drug. Apparently the body recognises that it has had it before and may rebel and make nasty rashes and weirdness.  Luckily I was ok during the infusion. Apparently I might suffer from more extreme side effects this time round.

Since then I have been plagued by fatigue, swollen belly and nausea to different degrees. I really did not know what a sledgehammer fatigue could be. I was so lucky I did not experience that the first time round. I'm sleeping and snoozing loads and watching tv series and re reading books on my ipad.  A weird in limbo existence. Catapulted back to the beginning of my cancer journey. Strangely It never occurred to me that I would go backwards and regress.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sianed 13/8/59 - 31/1/2022

We are sad to say that Sianed died yesterday 31 January. In accordance with her wishes there with be a celebration of her life, probably in ...