Thursday, September 3, 2020

I'm in love with the NHS

 Monday August 24 2020

I had my bloods tested by the assessment unit this morning. They say that my red count is kind of OK it was 91 now its 99 so it is creeping up. My white cells are low so I have got to be extra vigilant not to get infection by cuts or bruising and take temperature regularily.

My platelets are low so they want to do bloods again on Friday10.30 ish. The injections have a tendancy to lower my platelets so I'm giving them a double whamy at the moment. If they get too low I might have to stop the injections. Blimey what a delicate balance !

Monday August 31 2020 

I have been thinking about how incredible the National Health Service is.  How fortunate we are to have it in this country.

I have had and continue to have the most wonderful treatment by every person I have come across in my visits to out patients and treatment wards. I had no idea how intricately the different departments and layers of care interweave with each other.

I have visited the Xray department to have an ultrasound scan and then later a CT scan and biopsy. I was in a ward for the day and had porters deliver me to the right place wheeling an enormous bed (which I felt utterly lost in), through umpteen double doors (randomly opening outwards or inwards), in lifts and negotiating around corners and in corridors. A lovely lady gave me a sandwich and a cup of tea which was delicious after not eating or drinking for hours and hours as I sat waiting for them to check that I would not have an adverse reaction to the biopsy. When you have the scan they inject a dye into you to better be able to see what is going on on the screen. A bizarre sensation, a flush of hotness that is a bit like weeing yourself but I was assured by the nurse I would not and did not.

Later on there have been the visits to the different chemotherapy wards with the nurses looking after me for hours and hours. Over the weeks I have had telephone chats with my consultant where she has explained things so clearly and calmly and with patience through out this process. I no longer walk in through the hospital front door with my heart in my mouth terrified out of my wits. I am now an experienced hospital appointment attender!  I have lost count over how many people I have come across that are helping me on my cancer journey. It is an amazing service and organisation and full of people who care and ask you how you are feeling and if they can get anything for you.  Just amazing. Thank you from the bottom of my heart NHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sianed 13/8/59 - 31/1/2022

We are sad to say that Sianed died yesterday 31 January. In accordance with her wishes there with be a celebration of her life, probably in ...