Thursday, June 4, 2020

Some kind of Cancer

 

Thursday June 4 2020

Turning up at the hospital and trying to find the right department and the right floor or even the right door was a mission in itself. My sense of direction is pretty much non existent at the best of times. Because I was in such a heightened worried state and so unused to being anywhere near a hospital, I took quite a few wrong turns before finding where I was supposed to be. I would ask directions but immediately forget them whilst saying Oh yes thank you nodding my head enthusiastically to the passerby I had accosted. Then there was the waiting in the waiting room and wondering what was going to happen next. By the time I was called in I had actually calmed down a bit.

A month after the first symptoms appeared I now had some answers. The consultant dressed in visor, face mask and complete coverings had the difficult job of telling me that I had a 10cm growth on my ovaries or possibly 2 growths rolled into one. I also had a growth on my liver indicating that it might be a second stage cancer. There was no doubt that it was cancer because of my C125 number of 1600. I was told that it had probably been growing for sometime even before I had any symptoms. Because there are no nerve endings on these parts, there is no way for the body to let you know something is not right.

At this stage they did not know what kind of cancer it was and which was the original one. The cancer treatment would be tailored to my specific cancer. I was given two books and some other literature all about cancer produced by Macmillan Cancer Support. It was sobering reading but well written and very clear. I was give a number to call that was available 24 hours in case my symptoms suddenly got worse or I needed help or reassurance or stronger pain killers. The nurses emphasised not to hesitate to ring the 24 hour help line even if it felt like a simple question. What a fantastic service!

Monday June 8 2020

I spent a day in hospital having a CT scan and a biopsy (with a local anaesthetic) taken from the tumor on my ovaries. There was also a discussion if fluid should be drained from my abdomen. Apparently fluid happens as a result of the cancer and floats around inside the peritoneum. “The fluid is called ascetis. The perintoneum is a tissue that supports the ovaries and fallopian tubes. The peritoneum helps protect the organs in the abdomen and keeps them in place.” (Macmillan)

It was decided that I did not have enough fluid to drain and it was better not to attempt it as there was risk of infection and also it was in an awkward place behind one of my organs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sianed 13/8/59 - 31/1/2022

We are sad to say that Sianed died yesterday 31 January. In accordance with her wishes there with be a celebration of her life, probably in ...